img 650-813-9700
img 149 Commonwealth Drive, Suite 1001, Menlo Park, CA 94025

Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions? We have answers!

When should you use the Incorporator?

In one or more of the following situations:
a. You have a prototype and are ready to start pitching and haven’t incorporated yet
b. You don’t have a prototype yet, but are ready to start pitching and haven’t incorporated yet
c. You have more than one founder and want to ensure loyalty from everyone
d. You are a single founder and want to protect your personal assets from being liable for acts of the startup
e. You are creating IP that is increasing in value by the day and don’t have an incorporated entity yet

Are the forms you provide appropriate for my company?

Our forms are created for startups in the technology sector. It is a generic form that can be used as is, or as a starting point for customization when you need it to be very specific to your company. If you need customization, we are happy to work with you and customize it for your company. Just mention this in your free consultation with our attorney and get more details.

What if I want to be an S corporation?

Not a problem, in addition to one of the packages above, we can help you convert to an S corporation for an additional $50.

Is the Incorporator only for US companies or can companies outside the US also incorporate with the Incorporator?

The Incorporator can be used for persons within and outside of the US but persons outside the US will require a couple of additional services. Please discuss with one of our attorneys or reach us at 650-813-9700

We might need to qualify to do business in California or another state – can you help?

Of course! We can qualify you to do business in California or any other state – just drop us a line at and we are happy to get started!

I have incorporated with an online incorporation service – can I still use the Incorporator for other services?

Absolutely! If you already have a file stamped Certificate of Incorporation/ Articles of Incorporation, but need to issue stock and need other documents, feel free to drop us a line at We can offer you a special rate for just the services you need.

What about signing on the phone?

We use electronic signatures to ease the process of incorporation and set up. All you need to do is read the document we email you and sign it right on your phone (or computer) – you don’t need to worry about printing, scanning and emailing it back.

Are electronic signatures enforceable in the US?

Electronic signatures are just as legal and enforceable as traditional paper contracts signed in ink. We use software that is compliant with
a. 2000 U.S. Electronic Signature in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN)
b. Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA)
c. European Directive (EC/1999/93).

When do I pay? How does this work?

You will pay only after you talk to our representative. Once you fill out the questionnaire, someone from the Royse Law Firm will call you and set up an appointment with one of our attorneys. At your consultation, you are free to discuss strategies for operation of your business and any other legal issues related to your company. Once the consultation is complete, we will take care of incorporating your company and delivering the rest of the agreements to you.

Can I talk to the attorney and then fill out the questionnaire?

We’d like to have some information about your company before we can speak to you so the time is used more efficiently. The questionnaire includes questions that are relevant to the setting up of your company so fill in as much as you know.

What if I don’t know the answers to some questions?

Just say ‘to be discussed’ or ‘pending’ and you can discuss it with your attorney at the consultation.

How long will my consultation with the attorney be?

A one hour free consultation is included within all of the packages above.

What if I need more than an hour?

We’re happy to accommodate you, but it will be billable at our regularly hourly rates.

What are Registered Agent Services and why do I need it?

The State of California and Delaware require you to appoint a registered agent in the state while incorporating a company there. A registered agent is a designated third party in the state in of incorporation who receives service of process notices, correspondence from the Secretary of State, and other official government notifications, such as tax forms and notice of lawsuits, on behalf of the company. Unless you have a physical presence in the state of incorporation, you must designate a registered agent. The State needs to have a contact person to communicate with, within the State, so PO Boxes are not acceptable.